Monday, December 8, 2008

Favorite Movies

I used to be a snob. I would only watch a movie with subtitles, and I was an art-house movie freak when I lived in NYC. Then I went through a major romcom phase. Anything with JLo, Julia Roberts, or Sandra Bullock was my fave. So it's an immense dichotomy, which I'm still trying to resolve.

All time snob favorites: Wings of Desire, The Eighth Day, Blue, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Talk to her, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, La Dolce Vita, Wild Strawberries, Children of Paradise, The Seventh Sign, Out of Africa, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Story of the Weeping Camel, Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, 7 Up, An Inconvenient Truth, North by Northwest, Walk the Line, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Being John Malkovich.

All time non-snob favorites: Wedding Planner, While You Were Sleeping, Pretty Woman, Just Like Heaven, 13 Going on 30, Twilight, Notting Hill, Runaway Bride, What Women Want, Maid in Manhattan, Monster in Law, Kate & Leopold, Love Actually, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, Moonstruck, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Enchanted.

I check rotten tomatoes to see what critics say about movies before I go to them nowadays, so I see less trash and buy into less hype. Something about a $9 ticket does that to me. The only thing that created "want-see" for me lately was Twilight. I don't regret it. Strangely, even though my recent snob pick, "Burn Before Reading" was highly rated, I would only give it a 6. Okay plot, and cute, but not the Coen brothers' greatest, either. When you're a genius and you make a good movie, it's disappointing when it's not great. It's weird that I think this, especially with the amount of trash that I watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment