Monday, December 8, 2008

My newest topics in celebrity gossip

It's funny how a birthday, when you're a girl in your late thirties, shifts your perceptions of things. Almost like having a kid, not that I've even done that yet. There's another problem. So I've gone mentally goth all of a sudden. Some of this gothness comes from a close friend of mine suddenly dying in his 50s, leaving behind a wife and teenage son. God bless Bill Trout.

Watching old episodes of "What's My Line" on youtube, I see all the stars in the 50s. Liz Taylor (again with that, I know), Milton Berle, Jerry Lewis, Red Skelton. When 30+ years of your own life pass by, you see people who were young when you were a child, and you see how they age. All the stars who were in their peak when I was young are now have 30 years added on them, too. They're all 60-80 years old, when you add the 30 years. And it freaks me out to look at facebook, because all my classmates are also my age. They look good, mind you, but it still freaks me out to be middle aged.

Anyway, I find it hard to be interested in airheads, druggies, losers, fameseekers, and bimbos right now. That pretty much crosses off most of the A and B list of celebrities, right? So who's left? The actors who let the job just be a job, and the actors who were once the shining stars who fell out of grace because of OLD AGE. Native people would never abandon their elders this way. We're all getting older. Some are too young or vain to think this. In this respect, my list of IN and OUT (thank you Heidi Klum):

IN: Matt Damon, Meryl Streep, Sissy Spacek, Robert Downey Jr., Jon Stewart, Britney Spears/Anne Hathaway (unfortunately, heartbreak brings maturity to a woman).

OUT: Tom Cruise, Hiltons, Lohans, Pam Anderson, Aniston, Simpsons (Bronx Mowgli, table of zero), the Wilson brothers (sorry, love them, but they need rehab STAT), Joaquin Phoenix, Olsen twins (coffee table book called INFLUENCE? Please!), Sienna Miller, Victoria Beckham.

There is a third category. There are people who are talented enough that they can pull off being brats: Jack Nicholson, the Brange, Billy Bob Thornton, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Kathy Griffin, Oprah, KANYE WEST (long live the SQUID BRAIN! Who writes in ALL CAPS! But I really love the song Gold Digger, OK? And I blew off a chance to play violin in his band because I had an iron-clad prior gig, which I will always regret!), Sean Penn.

I'll add more when I've taken more meds for my mid-life depression and eaten some more bon bons. Oh, and please feel free to comment on this, or submit your own IN/OUT lists. I know: what, we're accountants now? But it's amusing, and a good memento mori, and helps pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment