Monday, December 8, 2008

Twilight Sequel: WTF?

What is the matter with Summit Pictures? They had a perfectly fine golden egg and just killed their golden goose. Firing Catherine Hardwicke was a dumb thing to do.

OK, from their perspective, right, they can make the movie for the same amount of money, and the teenagers will still come. I see this same nonsense everywhere. Trust me. I'm a musician. People are always selling me out for a cheaper wedding musician or a band with less talent. Sometimes they hire a violinist at a high school level to do the job, then realize their mistake too late. Might as well put a karaoke machine on stage. But it's not art.

I guess Summit figures that Stephanie Meyer is a lousy enough writer that they can skimp on the budget. One argument: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it had a budget under $100K. New topic: does Stephanie Meyer's work deserve to be treated as art, or is it OK that Summit Entertainment chooses to use her work as a cash cow, all business?

No comments:

Post a Comment