Sunday, November 30, 2008

Real Issues?

I have enough food to eat and my only real concerns are those of self-actualization. Or not, with me obsessing about gossip and all. I look at movies like Jackass, which is a clear case of sheltered children crying out for meaning and help. (OK, also very funny!) My country is propped up on oil money, and looks on the verge of economic collapse. Meanwhile, how many people are hungry and diseased in this world? I think of how sheltered I am, with clean water and food and a warm house, and feel off-balance, sad, guilty, ashamed, and bothered by it all. This could be solved, yes? I could drive a car which emits water vapor, and have a solar powered house, and live a simple life so others did not have to die to maintain ecological balance with my evil habits.

I guess my blog is one huge ramble, but it's not just gossip anymore. It can't be. I'm too worried about the future, and I worry all the time. Please no one say the Americans are a bunch of clueless dolts. It's not true. It's just that there's not much any of us have felt we can do about things for a long time. How do you convert the automobile market into a non-emission source? You don't. That's the sad thing right now. Everyone I know wants a zero emission car, or a Prius, and solar power. We either can't afford it, or it doesn't exist yet. Does the market correct itself? How many polar bears will die for my cars? When will Antarctica collapse into the sea (today's news is predicting the split), and how much precious coastal real estate will remain? Will "they" listen then?

No comments:

Post a Comment