Sunday, November 30, 2008

Violin, personal and professional notes

Just joined a wedding band, which is cutting edge enough to play AC/DC, Rihanna, James Brown, etc. I love being in a wedding band. I love playing AD/DC and Metallica on the violin in a wedding band. I also play solo weddings, and go to great lengths sometimes for them. On Halloween, I played "Thriller" and "Monster Mash" solo for a cocktail hour. In August, I played 4 hours of Irish and Scottish music for a reception. I learn stuff by ear. My colleagues in the area, specifically my mandolin and flute playing friends, are awesome, too. I have a lot of fun.

This is all nothing compared to my South Indian violin teacher, Adrian L'Armand. He's getting older and I'm his last Indian violin student. I get up at 5 in the morning every week, travel by train to Swarthmore PA for a lesson, then take the train back home. Adrian gives me everything he has. And I mean: everything. Every rhythm trick, every song, every discussion is from his whole heart. I have never had a teacher like him. In India, they call your teacher your guru. Adrian is that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment