Sunday, November 30, 2008

Why Do I Like Twilight? Part 2 (book)

The whole "Bella is so beautiful and dazzling" thing is annoying, and IMO, Meyer's Brigham Young training seeps into the non-premarital-sex thing, and the whole "girl is beautiful and everyone is throwing themselves at her" mantra. I scared some Mormon boys off once, telling them that I was so feminist that their brains would bleed around me. But sometimes the devotion is worth it, I guess? Tradeoffs of security in life? I see too many tradeoffs in the world. On the flip side, I guess it could be argued that it's OK for teenagers to have an example finally of teen characters who don't jump in the sack like animals. There's that, too.

Do I really like the Bella/Edward romance? Yes and no. I'm tired of it by the end of the second book. I mean, really weary. You cry through one whole book for some monster, then try to kill yourself? Run off with Jacob, for God's sake! He's hot! God, I'm middle aged, and it's pervy to say this, but Taylor Lautner in the movie is the best-looking part of the whole thing. I digress. I feel tired for Bella, like she must herself be jaded by all the adoration. Really obnoxious and overstated after a while. I wouldn't want it for myself, so obvious and in-your-face all the time. People that have to say it constantly are usually the biggest con artists of all, you know? What is said is itself and its opposite, yadda yadda.

I was annoyed by the plot outline of the books. Like it was plotted out over a 4 book story arc, just to string me along so I would buy 4 books. Not organic at all. Yes, Meyer loves Bella like a daughter, I get it. But I feel like the kid marketed to for a Happy Meal. I'm vegetarian anyway, but you know? It's not art. It's commerce, cold commerce, cold cash. Kitsch, greasy like French fries, maudlin, sentimental, and laborious. I love it, but there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment