Sunday, November 30, 2008

Why Do I Like Twilight? Part 1 (franchise, book)

Hey, movie making America! I'm going to pick my fevered female brain for 5 minutes to find out why it ticks! Fun for you, maybe fun for me!

Why do I like Twilight, the book(s!), the movie. OK, where's all the darned merch for the ladies, people? Bath salts, dresses, vampire makeup, colored contacts, Quileute jewelry, books on vampire lore, framed prints of the characters? I know they're on it, OK? I feel like a 6 year old, with new Happy Meal toys targeted relentlessly to them, helpless to the tractor beam. Scares me, actually. Already spent, what? 50 bucks total on the stupid franchise, and I want it to stop!

Anyway, Meyer got something with Bella's clumsiness/shyness. The girl every single teenage girl can relate to, especially if the growth plates in the bones aren't finished with their job yet or the hormones haven't calmed down. First love, do I even remember anymore? I had my heart broken by a bassoon player, people. Do I want to remember this? But it's nice that it works out for Bella. Edward, well, he's stuck in 1918 mentally, morally, which is also interesting.

It's good in a work of literature, when a topic is fresh and ripe for invention. The vampire thing is wacky already, and then Meyer made up her own rules on top. Endless. The mind reading, skin glittering, the superhuman movement, the interactions between 4 groups (human, werewolf, good vampires, bad vampires). And let's not forget the vampires that are neither good nor bad! Then there's the moral world the vampires are trying to dissect. Are they part of heaven anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment